Friday 23 August 2013

Explosion of Coffee, Photography, Golf & Poker!!!!

So, I had said yesterday that I will be sharing the detailed Exploding Box Card that I made, and I am ready to do that now. I made this card for my school friend, Kamya who wanted it for her fiance. Kamya is currently in Arizona, USA, doing her PhD. During one of our Skype/Google Hangout sessions sometime in April this year, she realised that she had never got anything made from me, which, considering the fact that she is one of my oldest friends, was surprising. So she ordered not just one, but THREE things from me. The first one was for her Dad's Birthday in May, the next for Mother's Day and one for her fiance's birthday in August!!!

Now sending the cards to her parents was very easy because they live pretty close by. But her fiance is in Arizona as well. When I asked her how she was planning for the card to reach halfway across the globe, she said she was planning a trip to India in mid-May and she would take it back with her when she left mid-June. So, I made this two months ago, but couldn't share it until now. :D :D

She wanted a Double Box - a box, inside a box - so I suggested that we add some themes, instead of just using random embellishments. So she gave me four of Shekhar's favourite things/pastimes - Coffee, Photography, Golf and Poker. She also had four photos to add which actually made things perfect. We used two themes and two photos on each of the boxes. :)

Time for some pictures now!!! :D :D


The Red Polka Dotted Paper is from DCVW - My Sunshine 12x12 Stack, Yellow from Echo Park's For The Record 2, 12x12 Kit. The PP used on the lid is from Echo Park's So Happy Together 6x6 Pad. The ribbon was bought locally.



I cut out a circle using Spellbinder's Circle Die and Embossed it before I distressed it with Antique Lenin Distress Ink. The sentiment stamp is from the greetings4birthday set by The Stamps of Life and has been stamped using Memento's Rich cocoa. To save some trouble, let me go ahead and say that all stamping on this project has been done using Rich Cocoa!! :D :D As an accent, I cut out a piece of craft CS using the Chloe Stem Memory Box Die and added some stickles glitter on it! :D


A peek of the inside once the lid of the first box is lifted. :) 
The flaps on this box had the themes - Photography & Golf.


 I kept the insides of the box in browns, I don't remember why. :P 
For the background of the flap, I used stamps from the Sketchbook Stamp Set by Amercian Crafts & Amy Tangerine, Camera  Stamp Set by American Crafts & Dear Lizzy. The camera cut out is from Amy Tangerine's Bit Sketchbook Die Cut Shapes. The top of the camera and the centre of the lens were actually pink in colour and I was all like, Oh My God, I can't use that for a guy!! There was a blue camera in the same collection but that didn't go with the rest of the box, so I painted over the pink portion with Rich Cocoa. Yup, the same way we do with Distress Inks. Dabbed some ink on an acrylic block, spritzed some water over and lashed on the pink with a brush to get this gorgeous maroon!! :D :D

Oh again, to save time and (typing) effort, I'll type this out once. All tags have been cut out using Spellbinder's Nestabilities Large Labels Dies, embossed, and distressed with Antique Lenin Distress Ink. The Stamping on the Craft CS is using Rich Cocoa, but the stamping on the tags is using Tea Dye Distress Ink! And the twine is from My Mind's Eye Follow Your Heart Be Happy Twine. The lines on the tags have been stamped using the lines2journal set by The Stamps of Life. :D


Quite frankly, I am not so happy with this. Can you imagine that the little white Quilled Circles are golf balls?? No? I didn't think so; because they don't look like anything close to a golf ball. I was so confused about how I would go about this theme that I ended up with this. Oh, and that wire like think poking out of the pocket is supposed to be that thing you hit the golf balls with (I don't even know what it's called! No wonder I was clueless :P) As for the sentiment, Kamya wrote it herself, because I was smart enough to leave the writing part till AFTER I was done embellishing. I wasn't confident that I could write without ruining anything, so I let her do it. ;)


This is the second box - the box inside the box. The Green PP with blue Swiss Dots is from Echo Park's Paradise Beach 12x12 Collection Kit. The Multicoloured Striped PP is from Echo Park's So Happy Together 6x6 Paper Pad. The Brown PP on the lid is from Jillibean Soup's Homemade Bean 6x6 Paper Pad.


A peek of the inside once both the lids of both the boxes are lifted. :) 
The flaps on this box had the themes - Coffee & Poker.



I was lucky I had a lot of coffee related stamps, because I am crazy for coffee. Why else would I dedicate a whole challenge theme to coffee? :P 
Anyway, this part is only stamping... I used stamps from various sets like coffee4two by The Stamps of Life, Latte Love by Fiskars, Coffee Cafe by TPC studio.

Ohhh!! Wait.. I remember now.. It's called a Golf Club! Ha! Phew.. Glad I figured that out, I wouldn't have been able to sleep tonight otherwise.. ;)


Now this one I had loads of fun making!!!!! I don't play poker. I have friends who swear by Poker, but I have been known to read a book in the background, when they're busy Pokering. All I knew was that it had something to do with playing cards and that was about it. Kamya helped me out here as well. She told me that Jack and Ace of Spades were important. So I somehow landed up on two playing cards and viola, here's what I came up with!! I even made the background of the tags with them. Nice, eh? :)


And now for the best part! The cake!! :D
I decided to make a square cake for this instead of a circular one. I did make a similar one again in the Quilled Box Card,  but I made that before I made this. So for me, THIS one was first. I decided to make it look like a simple Chocolate and Vanilla Cake. I embellished the edges with pearls and added Quilled Roses on the corners.


Usually, roses are made out of 10mm Quilling strips, or 5mm strips sometimes, but I have made them with 3mm when I was just starting out and when I was making this, I realised that I have not brought over quite a few of my Quilling Strips collection over from my mom's. Most of my 5mm and 10mm strips are still in my Maika. So I had no option but to make them using 3mm. I made the roses in dark brown and metallic gold, and I must say I quite liked how they turned out.


Kamya was amazed. Her parents were amazed. And Shekhar loved it!! I guess I should ask them for a testimonial soon! ;)

I will be back next week with another page from the Scrapbook. (Taking a bloggy break for the weekend.) 

Till then, I'll leave you with...
The complete list of products used...
From Lulupu 



Other Products


Be back soon! Happy Weekend!!

Love,
Nikita. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some love!