Sunday 21 July 2013

My First "Quilled" Exploding Box Card!

This post is Picture Heavy. Click on the pictures for a larger image. :)

I am always looking to make something new, but of late, I have been stuck with making box cards. It's not that I don't enjoy making them, it's just that they seem repetitive to me. But when I got another request for a Box Card with Quilling on it, I couldn't resist. I knew I just had to try it out.

Now the hardest part for me, is not the making of the box as such, but to find co-ordinating patterned papers to decorate the box. With 6x6 papers, it's really annoying because you use 4"x4" out of it and the rest goes to waste. Also, since most 6x6 pads have only 2 papers (or 3 in case of Jillibean Soup) in each design, that meant you had to ruin at least 4 sheets. But with 12x12, the entire job is done is one sheet. But I digress.

Anyway, another problem I had with selecting the paper, was that it had to be subtle so as to make the quilling 'pop' and not clash with the quilling; which is why I refrain from using PP and Quilling on the same project as far as possible. But, when I picked these two sheets from Echo Park's 12x12 Paradise Beach Collection Kit, I knew they would be perfect.

PB30008 Tropical

PB30005 Cabana Stripe
{Image Source}- I've used the other side of the papers.. The side not fully visible. :)

Here's how :)

They had these whimsical designs on them in a lighter shade of the main paper and I though, instead of making flowers or leaves and other Quilled paraphernalia, why not just outline the pattern on the Paper???? So here's what I did!!! :D :D













The person who requested the box, wanted to write the messages by hand so I couldn't risk the Quilling being crushed while writing. So I added two pouches on opposite ends and placed a tag in each of them for the messages. They could take the tag out and write on it, without damaging the Quilling :)





As for the cake, I wanted to have some quilling on that as well. So, I decided to make the cake white and added some shaped teardrops to make it look like colourful icing on a vanilla cake!! :)




Here are the products I used...
From Lulupu



Other Products



I really had a great time making this!! And the person I made this for, loved it completely and that made me happy!! That's all I wanted! :)

Will post again soon!! Have a great Sunday! :)

Love,
Nikita..

6 comments:

  1. Wow! This is just gorgeous ..I love the way you have incorporated the quilling with the pattern paper design ..It looks just amazing !! ..Love the colors too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The box is really beautiful... The outline is done so neatly... Just have one question... What is the use of such exploding boxes??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!!! Such exploding boxes are more of a Gift Item than of 'use.' When the lid is lifted, the four flaps fall open revealing something nice and pretty inside.. It's different from the regular cards.. that's all. :)

      Delete
  3. When I placed my comment on the Lulupu blog, I noticed I picked the 'wrong' blog. Oops! I'm glad you also said it on my blog, because now I'm here seeing al those lovely project. This box is awesome! It on my to-do list for a while to make one of these, you really inspire me to place it more up on my list haha. I never heard of quillig, but it looks very nice! I also love your two latest cards so... here is a new follower! I'm really surprised that your projects don't have more comments... they are great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Miranda... I can't wait to see your take on the box card!! And Quilling is so much fun.. I can't believe you haven't heard of it before...

      Thanks for the follow.. :)

      Delete

Leave me some love!